Monday, July 28, 2014

A Sweet Memory

So today I went to work as usual. I work at a school nearby and today I helped out in the Preschool class. We had come in for lunch and I was asked to read the class some stories while we were waiting for lunch to be ready. Well I read the class two stories and played a version of Simon Says and the food still wasn't ready. I looked to my other teacher for an idea and she said that we should do some songs. So we sang "A,B,C's", "The Wheels on the Bus", and "The Itsy Bitsy Spider." During the entire time a little girl sitting next to me was asking me to sing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star." I told her that we needed to wait and we would do that song next.

Before I had a chance to start singing the song, the other teacher had announced that lunch was ready and started to assign seating for the children. The little girl started to cry.

I whispered in her ear that "Miss Michelle promises that after nap time I will come back and we will sing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star together."

She smiled and said "Okay", tears still running down her face.

The other teacher only seeing the little girl crying asked what was going on. I told her what had happened and the teacher said "Come sit down. Let's stop crying. We'll sing it when you stop crying." When the little girl had stopped crying for a minute the other teacher led the class in singing the song.

This made the little girl cry even more. I went over to her and asked her why she was crying. She said "I want to sing it with just you after nap."

I said "It's okay. We'll still sing it." I gave her a big hug and everything was all better, reassuring the other teacher it was okay.

3 hours passed and I went back to the room to give the other teacher a 10 minute break but the little girl was still asleep.

Another 2 more hours passed and I went outside to the playground to send another teacher home and there was the little girl.

She saw me sitting down to sign in on the paper and said "Miss Michelle."

"Yes M"

"Can we sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star now?"

She smiled and I smiled. I sat her on my lap and together we sang:
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
How I wonder what you are?
Up above the world so high
Like a diamond in the sky
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
How I wonder what you are?
"See I promised and Miss Michelle doesn't break her promises."

She smiled, gave me a hug and said "I love you."

"I love you too M" I replied.

She gave me another hug and went off to play.

I will always remember that sweet melody and sweet memory from today. I love my job.

No comments: