Saturday, January 21, 2012

Humility- John 8:54

John 8:54 says- Jesus answered "If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me of whom you say He is our God."

As I was reading my Bible today this verse in John stood out to me. This verse shows Christ being humble. He says He will not glorify himself rather that His Father will glorify him. Not only does it show him being humble but it is an example for us to follow. We should not look for praise from others. But rather we should be giving all the praise and glory to God thanking Him for everything.

Learning to be humble will be hard if we try to do it in our strength. In fact we can't do it in our own strength. We can't do anything without Christ. We by nature are very proud people. We think in our mind we are right in whatever we say. Our opinion can be the only right opinion. Everyone who thinks otherwise is always wrong. We in turn are the ones who are wrong. There are a few exceptions when it comes to this that being Christ is the only way to heaven and other moral issues. In those cases we are right because we have the Word of God to back us up and Word of God is the truth. I think what I struggle with most is trying to remain humble even though I know I am right. But my pride and knowing I'm right wants to snap back and prove to the other person how I am in fact right event though they in turn insist that they are.

My question is for my friends who are Christians as well would be what would you do in that type of situation? How would you confront someone who is a sister or brother in the faith who says something is okay to do even when they know it's the wrong thing to do and they know they are wrong but when you try to talk to them about it gets angered easily?

My prayer for us all today is that we would learn how to become more humble like Christ and ask God to remove the pride in our life that so easily entangles us to the sin of anger.

No comments: